What am I doing here?


I have just seen fire rain down from heaven and scorched everything I laid on those 12 stones! I saw as the whole crowd fell to the ground and worshipped the Almighty God! I have just slain four hundred prophets of Baal by the riverside! I prayed for rain seven times and watched as that cloud, the size of my fist, brewed up into a storm! 
All my life, I have read the stories of how God has wrought His mighty works in the sight of my forefathers who journeyed forty years through the wilderness. Seas parted, water spewed out of bare rocks, manna rained every morning, a pillar of cloud to shade the day, and one of fire to warm the night. Our literature is basically about the mighty God we serve.

But...

Why am I running? Why am I afraid of the threat of a mere Sidonian woman?! What is wrong with me?! Why am I at the foot of this mountain, where once walked Moses? Well, one thing is clear, Jezebel seeks blood for blood because I killed her prophets, and now the news comes that she has gone on a prophet-killing-spree! 

I must seek God and tell Him about this. Moses talked with God on this mountain so I guess God will do the same for me. Only one way to find out, and that is to climb it and call on God. 

-- /* -- A few hours later */ --

Oh, I feel so embarrassed about my whining! What am I doing here?! God made me realize that I was running away from what I thought were my problems, but they were not my problems, they were His problems, and He was using me to take care of it. And when things seemed a bit disastrous, I ran away from my post! God was able to take care of it, I mean, He is GOD! What can He not do?! Who am I to doubt His abilities?! 

Now I am back on the road making my way back to the pit of snakes I ran away from. But one thing is different now, I am wiser than the man who climbed up that man who climbed up Horeb. No more whining, just a lot more trusting and doing.

But what do I know, I am just a foolish old man, so I'll ask you this: taste and see for yourself the bitter-sweet lessons of God. You will surpass me.

Yours truly,
Elijah

Comments